Monday, October 20, 2008

Falling down...

In an effort to not just have this blog be totally about Abby, I decided to let you in on a little of my heart recently. Falling down seems an appropriate title for Abby and me this past week. She literally fell down or tumbled off her picnic table outside onto the patio and really scraped up her head and nose. It was quite a scary and sad experience...one of the most serious injuries in her short life (and for that blessing we're so grateful). She wanted simply to be held and cry it out...no ice thanks.

Here's the damage a day later, a nice v-shaped forehead scrape

Acting sad about the injury

Just a face I thought most resembled what looks I'm being given frequently

Today Abby pulled out a little stool, climbed on top, and began singing a song about standing on the rock. I asked her if she learned it at church and she said yes, but couldn't remember any more words. I need to ask the teachers to teach it to me! What a song I needed to hear, if only those few words of "I'm standing on the rock." Because I'm not. I've somehow stepped off the solid rock of Christ to attempt to control things on my own...and amazingly enough it's not working!! In our women's study at church we're doing a study called "He Speaks to Me" by Priscilla Shirer. It's been really, really good. Today's lesson was on being still in my emotions and not letting them control me. I needed to hear it. And I needed to cry and to be held by my loving Father. I didn't need any ice, just the sheer realization that I have taken my feet from the only firm place they should be. I'm caught up in emotions of a pity party about being tired from potty training, big girl bed training, having a husband who works crazy hours, being pregnant, etc. It's foolishness b/c the truth is I should be continually giving thanks to God for a wonderful & hard-working husband that affords me the opportunity to stay at home, a beautiful & smart little girl who loves me so much, a little boy growing inside me who I get to meet in less than 2 months, loving parents and in-laws...and the list goes on. So the good news is I got out all my pity partying laments to the Lord this afternoon. I've stepped back on the solid rock and am ready to be used by him to serve him exactly where he has me. And it's somewhere I want to be and a place I wouldn't trade for anything.

5 comments:

Betsy said...

taryn, thanks for sharing your heart! i've been in pity party mode lately too (think last friday)so i totally relate to your struggle. thankfully God is very patient with us :)

The Anderson Family said...

Yes, thanks for the reminder. It's so easy to get caught up in the "daily grind" and forget all the blessings we have.

Sounds like a good study! Wish we had a women's group at our church. I need to get back into a study for some accountability - I have been quite distracted too lately.

Hope Abby's boo-boos heal quickly! Can't wait to meet the little guy!

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog. I have not been a good sister..here I am venting to you about all my issues and not letting you have the chance to lean on me. I'm here for you!

stephanie said...

amen!

Anonymous said...

That's a wonderful sentiment, thank you for the reminder. Love, cousin Jen